Tuesday, September 6, 2016

EN 006 Kripke's Frege: The "Frege Principle" (continuation)

The "Frege Principle" vs. principle of context


I promised myself that, if I can't publish every day a few lines, at least I will work every day a bit on my next message. But I can´t even keep that promise to myself. I apologize for being so unreliable...

Since it is so important, I will start out by stating the principle, that Kripke largely ignores, in Frege's own words. For translations to English I will largely rely on the translation by Black and Geach, in spite of my quarrels with some particular aspects of that translation, because most commentators use it, in particular in the present case Kripke. The passage I need now, however, has not been translated by Black and Geach, so I will use the translation by Michael Beaney. The passages appear all in Grundlagen der Arithmetik or The Foundations of Arithmetic from 1884:

In this investigation I have adhered to the following fundamental principles:
There must be a sharp separation of the psychological from the logical, the subjective from the objective;
The meaning of a word must be asked for in the context of a proposition, not in isolation;
 The distinction between concept and object must be kept in mind.
(the emphasis is mine).

The second principle will be shown to be at work in the way Frege pretends to explain how we are given numbers in spite of the fact that we can have no intuition of them.

We'll see that the next time - for now I just ran out of time.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment