Monday, April 20, 2015

Aside:

I need some time to think in order to continue the series of posts about 'sense' in § 32 of Grundgesetze, something I don´t have these days. However, I will quote a famous letter here from Wittgenstein to Moore (for which he later apologized); contrary to Prof. McGuiness, I think Wittgenstein was essentially right, and that we need more of his spirit to put more philosophy into today's "philosophy" departments. This comes, incidentally, of course, as I'm currently struggling with some of the more stringent procedural requirements of my own, that are in place nowadays:


"May 7, '14

Dear Moore,

Your letter annoyed me. When I wrote Logik I didn't consult the Regulations, and therefore I think it would only be fair if you gave me my degree without consulting them so much either! As to a Preface and Notes; I think my examiners will easily see how much I have cribbed from Bosanquet. - If I'm not worth your making an exception for me even in some STUPID details then I may as well got to Hell directly; and if I am worth it and you don't do it then - by God - you might go there.

The whole business is too stupid and too beastly to go on writing about it so -

L.W."




No comments:

Post a Comment